Social Work Departmental Scholar
This award recognizes an academic career of outstanding accomplishment.
- Candidates must have an approved graduation application on file in the Registrar’s Office for Spring or Summer graduation (for spring semester awards) or Fall graduation (for fall semester awards).
- Candidates must have completed 30 hours of WIU coursework. Coursework in progress during the term in which the award is to be given may not count toward the 30-hour requirement.
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher for all work completed at WIU.
Additional Departmental Criteria
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher in all social work courses.
- Candidates must, in the faculty’s judgment, display the highest level of:
- Critical thinking
- Scholarly writing
- Commitment to professional values
- Commitment to extra-curricular service activities
The recipient of the Departmental Scholar Award receives an engraved gold medallion emblazoned with the University Seal with a distinctive ribbon to be worn at commencement. The honoree is also recognized at the Academic Honors Convocation held during the term the award is given, will have her/his name added to the departmental plaque that honors award recipients, and will receive a award certificate from the department.