Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
College Scholar Nominee
This award is a nomination of one or two Social Work students meeting the criteria below to be considered for the Cecile A. Christian Sterritt College Scholar Award, which is awarded to one outstanding student in each WIU College.
- Candidates must have an approved graduation application on file in the Registrar’s Office for Spring or Summer graduation (for spring semester awards) or Fall graduation (for fall semester awards).
- Candidates must have completed 30 hours of coursework while in residence at WIU. Coursework in-progress during the term in which the award is to be given may not count toward the 30-hour requirement.
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher for all work completed at WIU.
- Candidates must complete the “Student Information Sheet” and provide two letters of recommendation from faculty. The “Student Information Sheet” and the letters of recommendation must be submitted to the College Office by the deadline established for the term in which the award is to be given.
Additional Department Criteria
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher in all Social Work courses.
- Candidates who, in the faculty’s judgment, display the highest level of:
- Critical thinking
- Scholarly writing
- Commitment to professional values.
A departmental nominee who is chosen to be the College Scholar will receive a $150.00 cash award and a silver medallion emblazoned with the University Seal with a distinctive ribbon to be worn at commencement. The honoree is also recognized at the Academic Honors Convocation held during the term the award is given, will have her/his name added to the departmental plaque that honors departmental nominee recipients, and will receive an award certificate from the department.