In order to complete a Bachelor of Science Degree in Exercise Science, students must complete the requirements listed below, accumulate a minimum of 120 credit hours, and obtain a grade of C or better in all courses that begin with KIN. For more information, please consult the WIU Undergraduate Catalog.
University General Education Curriculum
(43 credit hours)
Below are requirements for General Education and a list of courses that serve as pre-requisites for the Exercise Science major. Click here to learn more about the requirements for General Education.
ENG 180 College Writing I (3)
ENG 280 College Writing II (3)
COMM 241 Introduction to Public Speaking (3)
Natural Sciences and Mathematics
MATH 123 Modeling with Mathematical Functions (3)
Lab Science Course (4 credits)
Electives (3 credits)
PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology (3)
Electives (6 credits)
Humanities and Fine Arts
Electives (9 credits)
Electives (3 credits)
FCS 109 Introduction to Nutrition (3)
Electives (1 credit)
Kinesiology Core (15 credit hours)
The following five courses are required in the curriculum for all undergraduate majors in the Department of Kinesiology.
- KIN 270 Motor Behavior (3)
- KIN 290 Anatomy and Physiology I (3)
- KIN 359 Sport & Exercise Psychology (3)
- KIN 391 Physiology of Exercise (3)
- KIN 392 Biomechanics (3)
Exercise Science Major Courses
(31 credit hours)
Exercise Science majors are required to complete the following courses that are specific to their major
- KIN 170 Introduction to Physical Wellness (3)
- KIN 291 Anatomy & Physiology II (3)
- KIN 300 Fitness Activities for the Older Adult (3)
- KIN 319 Principles & Leadership of Stress Management Techniques (2)
- KIN 343 Principles & Leadership of Cardiovascular Exercise (3)
- KIN 347 Principles & Leadership of Resistive Training (3)
- KNI 401 Senior Seminar in Exercise Science (2)
- KIN 440 Exercise Stress Testing (3)
- KIN 444 Exercise & Wellness Programming (3)
- KIN 463 Personal Training (2)
- KIN xxx Electives (4-6)
(12 credit hours)
During the last semester of the program Exercise Science majors complete a full semester capstone experience.
- KIN 400 Internship (12)
(16-18 credit hours)
All exercise science majors are required to complete a minor. Click here to view a list of the minors available at WIU
- Courses required for minor (16-18)
A question students and parents often ask is...
"How does this all fit together"?
Chelsea Lynes, a sophomore exercise science major, earned the 5K individual title at the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville Cross Country Challenge. Read More.