Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Horrabin Hall 95C
Research Topics: Designing and evaluating distance learning/Web-Based instruction - Knowledge Mgmt/ Organizational learning / Performance Technology, Team learning and performance (virtual collaboration), and Survey development & statistical validation.
- Virtual teams and online communities
- Knowledge Management (KM), Organizational/Workplace Learning/Performance
- Web 2.0 and emerging technologies
- Retention and drop out
- Human Performance Technology
- Learning, design, and media theories in e-learning/online education
- Survey development and validation (EFA/CFA/SEM)
- Structural Equation Modeling (SEM), MANOVA, logistic regression, quantitative content analysis (grounded theory), case study, and mixed methods.
h.D. - Human Resource Development - University of Illinois - UC
M.A. - Teaching English as a Second Language - University of Illinois - UC
B.A. - English Language and Literature - Sung Kyun Kwan University
* Peer-refereed journal articles
* Joo, B. K., Lim. D. H., Song, J. H., & Yoon, S. W. (In press). Team creativity: The effects of perceived learning culture, developmental feedback, and team cohesion, International Journal of Training and Development,
* Song, J. H., Yoon, S. W., Uhm, D. H. (Accepted). Organizational knowledge conversion practice: Systematic processes for scale development. Leadership and Organizational Development Journal,
* Lim, D. H., Yoon, S. W., & Park, S. (In Press). Typology of learning outcomes: What is said vs. what is measured. New Horizons in Adult Education & Human Resource Development.
* Park, S. Y., Lim, D. H., Yoon, S. W., Huh, Y., Lee, D. (2011). Advancing the affective domain for vocational education research, International Vocational Education Research and Training, 19(2), 56-72.
* Song, J. H., Uhm, D. H., & Yoon, S. W. (2011). Systematic and practical measurement of organizational knowledge creation: Developing and validating the Knowledge Creation Practice Inventory, Leadership and Organizational Development Journal, 3(4), 243-259.
* Song J. H., Yoon, S. W., & Yoon, H. J. (2011). Identifying organizational knowledge creation enablers through content analysis: The voice from the industry. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 24(2), 71-88.
* Yoon, S. W., & Lim, D. H. (2010). Virtual learning and technologies for managing organizational competency and talents. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 12(6), 715-728.
* Cho, Y. J., & Yoon, S. W. (2010). Theory development and convergence of Human Resource fields: Implications for Human Performance Technology. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 23(3), 39-56.
* Yoon, S. W., & Ardichvili, A. (2010). Applying Vygotskian thought, situated learning theory, and holistic learning and performance architecture in the design of integrated knowledge management systems. International Journal of Knowledge Management, 6(4), 47-59.
* Yoon, S. W., Song, J. H., Lim, D. H., & Joo, B. K. (2010). Structural determinants of team performance: The mutual influences of learning culture, creativity, and knowledge. Human Resource Development International, 13(3), 249-265.
*Cote, D., Abbott, C., Woita, T., Maher, P., & Yoon, S. W. (2010). Virtual worlds in education and training, Midwestern Journal of Educational Communications and Technology, 4(2), 21-30.
* Yoon, S. W., Song, J. H., & Lim, D. H. (2009). Beyond the learning process toward the knowledge creation process: Linking knowledge and learning in the supportive learning culture. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 22(3), 49-69.
* Ardichvili, A., & Yoon, S. W. (2009). Designing knowledge management systems for co-creation of meaning. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 11(3), 307-319.
* Dirani, K., & Yoon, S. W. (2009). In search of proper models and paradigms fitting the struggles, hopes, and needs of leveraging online education: A case study from a Jordan University. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning.
* Yoon, S. W., & Johnson, S. (2008). Phases and patterns of group development in virtual learning teams. Educational Technology Research and Development. 56(5/6), 595-618.
* Lim, D. H., & Yoon, S. W. (2008). Team learning performance and collaboration between online and blended delivery groups. Performance Improvement Quarterly. 21(3), 59-72.
* Petty, G., Lim, D. H., Yoon, S. W., & Fonton, J. (2008). The effect of self-directed work teams on work ethic. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 21(2), 49-63.
* Yoon, S. W., Robertson, J., & Dockery-Jackson, M., (2008). Distance learning at the core of institutional success: A Kirkwood Community College case study, Midwestern Journal of Educational Communications and Technology, 2(1), 24-37.
* Yoon, S. W. (2007). Online education success factors: Aligning technologies with instruction. National Forum of Applied Educational Research Journal, 21(1), 30-39.
* Yoon, S. W., Sikes, K., Otto, A., Blodgett, G., & Henderson, A. (2007). E-learning as a solution for educating global workforce at Caterpillar. Midwest Journal of Educational Communications and Technology, 1, 2-11.
* Yoon, S. W., & Lim, D. H. (2007). Strategic blending: A conceptual framework to improve learning and performance. International Journal on E-Learning, 6(3), 475-489.
* Yoon, S. W. (2006). Two group development patterns of virtual learning teams: Linear progression and adaptive progression. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 7(4), 297-312.
* Lim, D. H., Yoon, S. W., & Morris, M. L. (2006). Combined effect of instructional and learner variables on course outcomes within an online learning environment. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 5(3), 255-269.
Yoon, S. W., & Kuchinke, P. (2005). Systems theory and technology: Lenses to analyze an organization. Performance Improvement Journal, 44(4), 15-20.
Yoon, S. W. (2004). Distance learning classrooms. Tech eNews, College of Education & Human Services, Western Illinois University.
Yoon, S. W. (2003). In search of meaningful online learning experiences. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 100, 19-30.
* Johnson, S. D., Suriya, C., Yoon, S. W., Berrett, J. V., & LaFleur, J. L. (2002). Team development and group processes of virtual learning teams. Computers & Education, 39(4), 379-393.
Lim, D. H., Yoon, S. W., & Park, S. Y. (2009). Technologies for learning and transfer: learning frameworks and technology decision for career and technical education. In C. X. Wang (Ed.), Handbook of Research on E-Learning Applications for Career and Technical Education: Technologies for Vocational Training (pp. 84-99). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Yoon, S. W. (2008). Technologies for learning and performance. In A. Rozanski, K. P. Kuchinke, K. P., & E. Boyar (Eds). Human resource development theory and practice (pp. 245-262). Lublin, Poland: Lublin Technical University.
Hemphill, L. S., Hemphill, H. H., Yoon, S. W., & Zhang, L. (2008). On the road to cross-cultural understanding: U.S. and Chinese graduate students collaboratively examine technology issues in K-12 classroom. In R. Kobayasi (Ed.), New educational technology (pp. 89-104), Nova Publishing.
2011 Top 10 Outstanding Research Paper. "Structural determinants of team performances: The mutual influence of learning culture, creativity, and knowledge" Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD)
2010 College Faculty Scholar, College of Education and Human Services, WIU
2009 Top 10 Outstanding Research Paper. "Team learning and performance and collaboration between online and blended delivery groups" Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD)
2006 Top 10 Outstanding Research Paper. "Instructional and learner Awards factors influencing learning outcomes within online learning Environment," Academy of Human Resource Development (AHRD)
2005 Top 10 Outstanding Research Paper. "Toward a strategic blending model: A conceptual framework to improve learning and performance," AHRD
Related Work Experience
President – Korean Academy of Human Resource Development in America (KAHRDA). Created the group’s website at www.kahrda.org, 2/2010 – 2/2012
President – Illinois Association for Educational Communications and Technology (IAECT), 10/2009 – 10/2011
Project Manager - Provided consulting, instructional design, and project management. Led and completed more than ten web instructional projects for various clients all in time within budget. Web Technology Group, University of Illinois 8/98 – 8/02
Tech Support, Course Development, Database Manager - Worked as a course developer, teaching assistant, and database manager, HRE Online, UIUC 1/00 – 8/03
Personnel Manager, 34 th Support Group, 8 th Army, Seoul Korea, Korean Augmentation to the U.S. Army (KATUSA)
IDT 200 Introduction to Instructional Technology
IDT 250 Introduction to Web-Based Instruction
IDT 351 Intermediate Web-Based Instruction
IDT 390 Distance Learning and Telecommunication
IDT 480G Advanced WBI
IDT 515 Distance Learning and Telecommunication
IDT 532 Human Performance Technology
IDT 516 Using the Internet for Education and Training
IDT 538 Using Graphics for Teaching and Learning
IDT 545 Instructional Web Development
At other universities (Northern Illinois University & University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign))
Instructional Design for M.S./Doctorate
Foundations of IT
Training and Human Performance Technology
Doctoral Seminar in Theories of IT
Foundations and Principles of Education for Work
Training Programs for Business and Industry
Business Principles for HRD Professionals
Allwardt, D. (forthcoming). Teaching with Wikis: A Cautionary Tale of Technology in the Classroom. Journal of Social Work Education.
Allwardt, D. (2010). [Review of the book Lifting our voices: The journeys into family caregiving of professional social workers by J.O. Beckett]. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 53(6), 568-570.
José, H., Parreira, P., Thorson, J.A., & Allwardt, D. (2007). A factor-analytic study of the Multidimensional Sense of Humor Scale with a Portuguese sample. North American Journal of Psychology, 9(3), 591-606.
Allwardt, D. A. & Anderson, D. K. (2006). Cultural competent health care practice with elders. [8 electronic modules]. MedEdPORTAL. Available from: http://www.aamc.org/mededportal, ID = 254.
Allwardt, D. & Zellmann, K. (2008-2011). Curriculum Development Institute Program. Award: $5,000 + up to $3,500 travel expenses. Grantor: Hartford Foundation and the Gero-Ed Center.
Allwardt, D. (2010, October). “A Historical View of Gerontological Social Work: The Contributions of Ollie Randall”. Paper presented at the Council on Social Work Education’s Annual Program Meeting, Portland, OR.
Allwardt, D. (2010, March). “In Search of the Long-term Nursing Aide.” Poster presented at the American Society on Aging’s Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
Allwardt, D., & Venzon, J. (2009, November). “What went wrong with the Wiki?” Paper co-presented at the Council on Social Work Education’s Annual Program Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
National Association of Social Workers; Gerontological Society of America;
American Society on Aging; Council on Social Work Education; Society for Social Work and Research
Awards and Recognitions
Diversity and Multicultural Leadership Faculty Award. Spring 2007.
Nancy Coney Faculty of the Year Award.Â Spring 2007.