Why Choose WIU
Qualified Bilingual/English as Second Language teachers are in high demand throughout the state and nation. WIU offers a Bachelor of Science in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Spanish language). Students who complete this program also complete all requirements for elementary education certification.
Students completing the program also complete all requirements to qualify for elementarycertification. Students will be granted approval for ESL through the Illinois State Board of Education.
Possible Career Paths
- Bilingual/ESL Educator
Western Illinois University offers affordable quality academics with the convenience of:
- Online Courses
- Courses offered on site at two campuses - Macomb and Quad Cities
- On Site Weekend and Traditional Courses
- For interested cohorts, please contact Gloria Delany-Barmann at GA-Delany-Barmann@wiu.edu or phone (309) 298-1183.
Benefits and characteristics of the 18 credit hour ESL Endorsement program:
- The Bilingual/Bicultural Education at WIU includes a supervised practicum field experience as well as student teaching, giving majors hands-on practice before entering the workforce.
- Will enable PreK—12 teacher education students and PreK—12 certified teachers to obtain the additional State of Illinois approval needed to receive an English as a Second Language Endorsement
- Will enhance teaching efficacy and also increase employment opportunities in Illinois and out of state school districts
- Courses are offered in the evening, online, and in 4 weekend format
- Knowledge of a foreign language is not required to complete the program successfully