Doctorate of Education Admission Process
The doctoral program will be a cohort program that will be a blend of weekend classes and distance learning. The 83 semester hour program combines the current 40 semester hour Education Specialist degree with an additional 43 semester hours of doctoral work. Each applicant will provide evidence to the screening committee of continuous professional growth and development, as well as, evidence of contributions made to the research base, to the growth of others, or to the improvement of student achievement. Also, students must:
- Hold a Master’s degree in educational leadership (or equivalent)
- Hold an Education Specialist’s degree in educational leadership (or equivalent)
- Be a school administrator (principals, assistant principals, curriculum directors, assistant superintendents, or superintendents)
- Hold, or be eligible for, Superintendent Certification
Step 1 – Application to the School of Graduate Studies
Please complete the Application for Admission to the WIU School of Graduate Studies before continuing with the Department of Educational Leadership application.
Step 2 – Application to the Educational Leadership Department
Apply to the Educational Leadership Department: Application to Program.pdf Students applying for the Educational Leadership Doctorate Program will also submit the following:
- Letters of recommendation form Doctorate Reference.pdf
- Current Supervisor
- Full Vitae/resume
- GRE scores less than 5 years old (Verbal, Quantitative, and Writing)
Step 3 – Screening of Applications
Screening Committee: A subcommittee of the Department of Educational Leadership’s Graduate Committee will conduct the initial screening. The screening committee will be comprised of two graduate faculty members from the Educational Leadership Department and one additional faculty member from the College of Education. This committee will review the materials contained in all complete applications. The screening committee will then select candidates for interviews to seek a more complete image of the person’s professional commitments and achievements.
- Candidates will present a professional portfolio that highlights their leadership and professional accomplishments with an emphasis on data and results. The presentation should be approximately 20 minutes in length and may be presented via electronic format, video format, notebook configuration, or any combination of the aforementioned.
- During a 30 minute interview the candidates will respond to interview questions from the screening committee.