Special Education

Picture of Special Needs Teacher and Child


Students may choose to pursue certification in both elementary education and special education (K-12) teaching liscensure. Earning both licensures only requires one additional semester of coursework beyond the requirements for earning special education licensure. Students must major and receive their degree in Special Education. This is not considered a double major, it is for licensure purposes only.


Study guide and registration information is available on the website www.il.nesinc.com.

Test Name & #                           Required for...

State Test of Academic Proficiency (400)acceptance into the teacher education program

LBS1 (#155)                           clearance to student teach

Special Education General Curriculum(#163)        clearance to student teach

edTPA                                       successful completion of student teaching and licensure.

Special education majors should also consider taking the elementary/middle grade (#110) content test (required for those seeking dual certification in elementary education). Passing This test will NOT qualify a special education major for elementary certification (except for those completing the dual program), but will let a school district and others know that by NCLB (No Child Lift Behind) requirements, the special education teacher is considered highly qualified in all subject areas for elementary and middle level classrooms. Also, by passing the general education content test for special education teachers, the special education major will be considered highly qualified in the area of language arts for the middle level for two years. After two years, the individual would need to follow the guidelines of HOUSSE. Again, this is NOT licensure or endorsement for teaching regular education at the middle level, but it does mean that the special education teacher would be highly qualified to work with special education students in the content area of language arts for two years.


Grants are available from the State of Illinois for those students who pursue certification in special education. Students receiving these grants are typically expected to teach in a special education classroom for several years upon graduation. See the Illinois Student Assistance Commission's (ISAC) website for additional information.

Several scholarships are also offered through the University for teacher education majors. Scholarships are awarded during the spring of each year for the following academic year. Deadline for applications is April 1.


ALL requests for special permission are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.Receiving permission for a class guarantees you a seat in that class.You do not have to be cleared to register to receive special permissions.Forms are available in the CPEP office.

All unused special permissions will be removed May 1st or December 1st (depending on the semester), except for those students with a financial encumbrance.

Students must have a cumulative 2.50 GPA to receive permission for any C & I freshman/sophomore level course . Permissions will not be granted for any C & I upper level course (300/400) unless the student has been "fully" accepted to TEP.


Interested in being able to teach in a regular middle school/junior high (4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th grade level? If so, you will need to take C & I 403 Middle Level Education. Taking this one course will qualify you to teach Language Arts.

Additional endorsements are possible in social science, science, mathematics, etc. If interested, be sure to discuss this with your advisor, during your advising appointment. No Additional test(s) required at this time.


Requirements for middle school endorsements are subject to change through the Illinois State Board of Education.