Rules and Specifications
- Each team is to build a device that will prevent an egg from being broken when dropped from a height of fifteen feet onto a concrete surface.
- Each team will need to bring the designed egg holder for a medium-sized egg to the competition (Teams can design the egg holder in class).
- Materials used to build your protective device are limited to those listed below.
- To simulate the fact that engineering projects always have a cost associated with them, the items listed below must be purchased through an account provided to your design team by your instructor and verified by the instructor.
- Once you purchase an item or items; there are no returns for a refund. Therefore, carefully plan what is needed for your design.
The competition will be to determine whether or not an egg survives the impact from a three-story drop with no visible signs of cracks.
The winner will be the team with the lowest cost design and an unbroken egg.
- Construction paper: 8.5" x 11"
- Rubber bands: regular sized, NOT HEAVY DUTY
- Cotton Balls: Regular size
- Plastic Straws: 7-5/8" x ¼" flexible straws
- Egg carton cup: Styrofoam or cardboard (either will work)
- Masking tape: One-half inch wide in 5" strips
- String: in 10" lengths
Cost Planning Sheet
|Materials||Cost Per Item||Quantity||Total|
|Egg Carton Cup||$15.00|
|Masking Tape (5")||$20.00|
|$ TOTAL COST|