Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D., Iowa State University, 2010
Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Office: Morgan Hall 403
- Phone: (309) 298-2418
- E-mail: Professor Welch
- Anth 110 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- Soc 100 Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 300 Minority Peoples
- Soc 335 Group Dynamics
- Soc 415 Social Stratification
- Soc 420G Race, Class, and Gender
- Soc 531 Quantitative Methods
Areas of Specialization
- Emotions; Identity; Latino/a Sociology; Networks; Race, Class & Gender; Research Methods; Social Psychology
- Cast, Alicia D. and Bridget K. Welch. Forthcoming. “Emotions and the Self: Depression and Identity Change.” The Sociology Quarterly.
- Welch, Bridget K., Melanie D. Hetzel-Riggin, Craig D. Tollini, and Jess White. 2013. “Using Social Network Analysis to Study Rape Disclosure Networks.”Midwest Society Meeting. Chicago, IL.
- Welch, Bridget K. and Jess Bonnan-White. 2012. "Twittering to Increase Student Engagement in the University Classroom." Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal. Vol. 4 (3): 325-345.
- Welch, Bridget K. 2010. "Creating a "We" in New Destination Communities: Social Identity as a Source of Social Capital." Midwest Sociological Society meetings. Chicago, IL.
- Welch, Bridget K. 2010. "On Living, Working, and Not Belonging: The Isolation of Latino/a Immigrants in a New Destination Community." Midwest Sociological Society meetings. Chicago, IL.
- Welch, Bridget K. and Anna E. Kosloski. 2010. "The Racialization of Latino/a Groups as Symbolic Interaction." American Sociological Society meeting. Atlanta, GA.
- Welch, Bridget K. and Anna E. Kosloski. 2010. "Toward a Shared Identity Theory of Race and Ethnicity: Structure and Agency in Identity Creation." American Sociological Society meeting. Atlanta, GA.
- Harrod, Wendy J., Bridget K. Welch, and Jeff Kushkowski. 2009. “Thirty-one Years of Group Research in Social Psychology Quarterly (1975-2005): Topical, Methodological, and Bibliometric Analysis.” Current Research in Social Psychology. 14(6): 75-103
- Besser, Terry L., Peter J. Korsching, Nancy J. Miller and Bridget K. Welch. 2006. “Creating Business Networks.” CD Practice. 14: 1-12.
- “Racing to the Finish: “Mario Kart” Nintendo Wii as an Active Learning Technique.” Bridget K. Welch and Anna E. Kosloski. American Sociological Association Meeting. San Francisco, CA, August 2009.
- “Emotions and the Self: Depression and Identity Change.” Alicia D. Cast and Bridget K. Welch. American Sociological Association Meeting. San Francisco, CA, August 2009.
- “Challenges Facing Latinos/as in New Destination Communities.” Session Organizer. Midwest Sociological Society Meeting, Des Moines, IA, April 2009.
- "Grief Written on the Skin: Qualitative Study of Memorial Tattoos.” Bridget K. Welch. Midwest Sociological Society Meeting, Des Moines, IA, April 2009.
Sociologists for Women in Society, Alpha Kappa Delta, Phi Kappa Phi, American Sociological Association (Sections: Social Psychology; Emotions; Latino/a Sociology, Sex and Gender; Race, Class, and Gender; Teaching Sociology), Midwest Sociological Society
Professor Welch joined the Department in 2009.