Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Cynthia B. Struthers
Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1999
Associate Professor of Sociology
Research Associate, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs
- GH 302 Oral History
- WS 410 / Soc 410 Women and Poverty
- Soc 200 Contemporary Social Problems
- Soc 345 Rural Social Organizations
- Soc 312 Community
- Soc 370 American Family
Areas of Specialization
- Family, Community, Rural Sociology
- Status of rural women in an era of neo-liberalism and market fundamentalism
- Illinois Rural Life Survey, a statewide survey of rural residents that examines rural quality of life and issues of importance to rural residents and state government
- Illinois Rural Youth Survey, a statewide survey of rural youth that examines their perceptions of and integration in community life
- Struthers, Cynthia B. (forthcoming) 2013 SILC Statewide Consumer Satisfaction Survey Final Report. Macomb, IL: Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. 2013. Book Review, “Living as Equals,” by Phyllis Palmer. Community Development: Journal of the Community Development Society 44(3):392-394.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. and Karen Mauldin-Curtis. Conference Presentation. Talking and Listening but Mostly Listening: Building Trust in Difficult Times. 15th Annual Leadership Conference, Decatur, IL 6 June, 2013
- Struthers, Cynthia B. 2012. SILC Statewide Consumer Satisfaction Survey Final Report. Macomb, IL: Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. and Rebecca A. Leverette. 2012. Community Housing Profile: City of Nauvoo, Illinois. Macomb, IL: Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. Conference Presentation. The Impact of the State’s Financial Crisis on Critical Access Hospitals. Rural Sociological Society Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL 27 July 2012.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. and Christopher Merrett. Poster Presentation. Social Responsibility: Core Value and Practice. National Outreach and Scholarship Conference, East Lansing, MI 1 October 2011.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. Conference Presentation. Community Engagement: Research with Rural Community Partners Around Local Issues. Joint Rural Sociological Society and Community Development Society Annual Meeting, Boise, ID 29 July 2011.Struthers, Cynthia B. 2010. Book Review, “The Promise of Welfare Reform,” by Keith M. Kilty and Elizabeth A. Segal (eds.). Community Development: Journal of the Community Development Society 41(2): 290-291.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. 2010. St. Francis Hospital – Community Health Needs Assessment 2009. Macomb, IL: Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. Class Presentation. Using Telephone Surveying and Focus Groups in Community Health Needs Assessments. Western Illinois University, Soc 535 Qualitative Methods course. 2 December 2010.
- Struthers, C. B., G. Dinges, M. Goetz, R. Price, B. Ramsey, and K. Wiehardt with J. Townsend. Panel. Rural Housing Programs and Issues. 2010 Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing, Chicago, IL 25 October 2010.
- Struthers, Cynthia B. Keynote. Confessions of a Good Enough Feminist. Western Organization for Women Spring Luncheon, Macomb, IL 21 April 2010.
- Rural Sociological Society, Community Development Society, National Rural Housing Coalition, Illinois Rural Health Association, Illinois Housing Task Force, Statewide Independent Living Coalition Employment Committee, and Statewide Independent Living Coalition Housing Committee
Dr. Struthers is a Unity Ally, serves on the University Theme Committee, Council on Instructional Technology, and is a Building Connections mentor.