Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Sociology & Anthropology
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 2011
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
- Office: Morgan Hall 401
- Phone: (309) 298-1369
- E-mail: Dr. Davis
- Academia.edu profile: http://wiu.academia.edu/ChristinaDavis
- ANTH 110 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH 380 Language and Culture
Areas of Specialization
Linguistic Anthropology, South Asia, Social Inequality, Conflict, Education
- 2013. “Locating Sinhala Voices: Ethnic Conflict and the Configuration of Difference among Sri Lankan Muslims.” Under Review. American Ethnologist.
- 2012. “Is Jaffna Tamil the Best?” Producing “Legitimate” Language in a Multilingual Sri Lankan School. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Vol. 22, Issue 2, pp. 197-218.
- “Locating Voicing: Multilingualism, Ethnic Conflict and the Configuration of Difference among Sri Lankan Muslims.” Paper delivered, Language and Super-diversity: Explorations and Interrogations. Helsinki, Finland. 6/2013.
- “Is Jaffna Tamil the Best? Ideologies of Legitimate Language and Sociolinguistic Disjuncture in a Multilingual Sri Lankan School.” Paper delivered, American Anthropological Association Annual Meetings, Montreal, Canada. 11/2011.
- “School Segregation and Conflict: Evaluating Sinhala and Tamil as Second Language Policies in Sri Lankan Schools.” Paper delivered, Tamil Studies Conference, Toronto, Canada. 5/2011.
- “The Voices of Others: Configuring Stance, Conflict, and Difference in Sri Lanka.” Paper delivered, Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, New Orleans, LA. 11/2010.
- “A Cosmopolitan Kandy: The Discursive Construction of Difference among Sri Lankan Tamil-Speaking Adolescents.” Paper delivered, Annual Conference on South Asia, University of Wisconsin, Madison. 10/ 2010.
- Davis, Christina P., and Grant P. Upson. 2005. Spectatorship, Fandom, and Nationalism in the South Asian Diaspora: the ’03 Cricket World Cup. International Journal of the History of Sport. 21:3/4.
American Anthropological Association; Society for Linguistic Anthropology; American Institute for Sri Lankan Studies
Dr. Davis joined the department in 2012.