Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Department of Physics
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics
Office Location: Currens Hall 305
Office Location: Currens Hall 402
Phone Number: (309) 298-1359
Personal Web Page: http://www.wiu.edu/astrolab
- Ph.D. – New Mexico Tech, Socorro, New Mexico, USA, 2008
- M.S. – University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2004
- B.A. – Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica, 2000
- Introductory Astronomy - Phys 101
My main research interest is the study of star formation and the interstellar medium, in particular the formation of stars ten times or more massive than the Sun - commonly known as massive stars. I conduct observations at radio frequencies with some of the most sensitive radio telescopes available, including the 305m Arecibo Telescope in Puerto Rico and the Very Large Array (VLA) in New Mexico.
Current research interests:
My current research projects can be divided in four broad areas:
- Identification and high angular resolution observations of young massive stellar objects.
- Studies of molecular clouds and their distribution throughout the Galaxy.
- Non-thermal phenomena associated with star formation, particularly astrophysical masers.
- Megamasers and molecular absorption in starburst galaxies.
Selected Publications (Link to all publications)
- A. A. Al-Marzouk, E. D. Araya, P. Hofner, S. Kurtz, H. Linz, & L. Olmi, "Discovery of 6.035 GHz Hydroxyl Maser Flares in IRAS 18566+0408", 2012, ApJ, 750, 170
- C. Carrasco-Gonzalez, R. Galvan-Madrid, G. Anglada, M. Osorio, P. D'Alessio, P. Hofner, L. F. Rodriguez, H. Linz, E. D. Araya, "Resolving the Circumstellar Disk Around the Massive Protostar Driving the HH 80-81 Jet", 2012, ApJL, 752,
- P. Hofner, S. Kurtz, S. P. Ellingsen, M. K. Menten, F. Wyrowski, E. D. Araya, L. Loinard, L. F. Rodriguez, R. Cesaroni, "Expanded Very Large Array Continuum Observations toward Hot Molecular Core Candidates", 2011, ApJ, 739L, 17H.
- L. Gomez, L. Luis, I. Hernandez-Curiel, S. Kurtz, P. Hofner, E. D. Araya, "A Catalog of CH3OH 70-61 A + Maser Sources in Massive Star-forming Regions. II. Masers in NGC 6334F, G8.67-0.36, and M17", 2010, ApJ, 191, 207G.
- L. O. Sjouwerman, C. E. Murray, Y. M. Pihlstrom, V. L. Fish, E. D. Araya, Discovery of the First Methanol (CH3OH) Maser in the Andromeda Galaxy (M31)", 2010, ApJ, 724L, 158S.