School of Nursing
- Admission Checklist
- Dates & Deadlines
- Background Check
- Course Pre-requisites
- Health & Safety
- Grade Point Average
If you have any questions about the program requirements, contact your advisor for assistance.
Nursing Program Health & Safety Requirements
- Health History Updates
- Physical (on admittance)
- MMR Measles/Mumps/Rubella Vaccine and positive Titer
- In instances of non-immunity after repeated documented immunization, this requirement is Waved.
- TB Skin Test- Two Step or QFT Initially -Annually TB Skin Test
- Varicella Titer
- 7 Panel Drug Screen
- All applicants are required to be drug tested on admission with random drug screens thereafter.
- (required 30 days after vaccine available from Beu Health Center)
- Tetanus – diphtheria immunization (Tdap within 10 years)
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B - positive Titer
Beu Health Center can do immunizations and titers for students if they are currently registered students paying tuition and fees at WIU. There is a cost for all services through Beu Health Center. Prospective students not currently enrolled at WIU will have to seek those services elsewhere, e.g. private physician or public health department.
Students should upload their health and safety documentation with Certified Background Check for verification no later than August 1.
Enrolled students with own health insurance will be assessed WIU student insurance per university policy – they may apply for a waiver through the student insurance office no later than the 10th.
Before fall semester admission, by August 1, students need to provide documentation to Certified Background Check to verify all safety requirements have been met. Students are responsible for all costs incurred for admission as well as ongoing safety requirements.
All applicants are required to submit a criminal background check. Details will be given to the student upon admission to the program.
Applicants with a felony conviction or a positive drug screen may be denied entry into the clinical facility for clinical practices. If a student is denied entry into a clinical facility due to a felony conviction or positive drug screen, the student must withdraw from the program.
- HIPAA, Bloodbourne Pathogens/Standard Precautions
- (may be obtained and updated during the semester)
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance
- (Required annually, must submit a copy of policy)
- Professional CPR
- (adult, child, infant)
- Criminal Background Check
- License to Practice Professional Nursing (RNs Only)
- (Copy of Current of license required)