- our graduates have pursued a wide variety of successful careers in law, government service, business, journalism, education, and many other fields
- 100% of WIU History Teacher Education majors taking the State Teacher Certification Test in History in recent years passed the test, compared to statewide passing rate of 85%
- our Pre-Law History major is the only program of its kind offered by a public university or college in Illinois
- individualized, professional advising allows our majors, minors, and graduate students to successfully complete degrees in a timely fashion:
- WIU is highly ranked nationally and regionally and recognized for providing a high quality, affordable education for its students
British History students preparing for mock witchcraft trials
"Choosing to go to Western was one of the best decisions I've ever made. In the History Department, I flourished in small classes and learned from professors who are not only experts in their fields but who genuinely care about my success. I have received numerous incredible opportunities, both as a student and since graduation, that are directly attributable to the professors at Western and the education I received there."
-- Ashley Eberle, recent WIU History graduate
WIU study-abroad students at the Acropolis in Greece
- 15 award-winning faculty members who are both outstanding teachers and noted scholars in their fields
- courses for both undergraduate students and graduate students offer opportunity to experience full range of historical study, from the ancient to the modern world, and around the globe, from Asia, Africa, and Europe to North and South America
- class sizes kept small -- faculty work closely with students
"I love the WIU History Department because we learn so much and have tons of fun while we are doing it. We have great professors who encourage students to think outside the box and give us the freedom to learn in a number of interactive ways. Through undergraduate research, experimental archaeology, and historical reenacting, the WIU History Department really does make history come alive! The result is a great learning experience in the field of history."
-- Abby Lagemann, recent WIU History graduate
Presenting historical research at WIU's Undergraduate Research Day
- History majors may participate in funded undergraduate research projects, working individually with faculty members
- graduate students' research eligible for generous funding through the Grad School's and Department's graduate research grant funding
“I looked at a lot of schools and met a lot of faculty. It was only at Western that I actually felt a connection to the History professors who were going to be teaching me for the next four years. The combination of scholarship, integrity, and dialogue that I found within the WIU History Department was amazing. That sealed the deal for me.”
-- Steve Catania, recent WIU History graduate
Students in diplomatic history class plan their Cold War debate strategy
- History majors (and minors) active in one or both of our Department's student organizations:
"The study of history teaches you to research deeply and learn a subject from every angle -- and to be critical." WIU's History professors "could pick apart your essays, expose shallow arguments, challenge you . . . yet they didn't try to mold you or force you in a certain direction. They just made you better."
-- Dave Faries, WIU History graduate and Dallas Observer restaurant critic
Visiting our Department
If you are interested in visiting Western to learn more about our Department, please contact us to schedule a visit -- we invite you to call us (309-298-1053) or send us an email. You may also want to attend a Discover Western orientation session. In either case, we’ll be happy to sit down and talk with you about your future with Western's History Department.
WIU History faculty at the Department's annual History Conference
- WIU Spring 2016 College, Departmental, Honors Scholars
- Fall 2015 College, Departmental, Honors Scholars