The History Department News
Our department has a proud tradition of excellent career preparation for students in a broad spectrum of jobs. Are you an alumnus? Please contact us and let us know what you're up to!
For previous news, view our archive.
Students and Alumni
- WIU Junior History student Kirsten Belisle received recognition for her research on Mary, Queen of Scots with a first place undergraduate award from the Phi Kappa Phi chapter. The ceremony will be held April 17th in the University Grand Ballroom starting at noon. Congratulations Kirsten!
- WIU M.A. student and Graduate Assistant Jeremy Knake presented his paper, "Education Means Liberty: Filipino Students, Pensionados, and U.S. Colonial Education," at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Asia hosted by Eastern University University on Apr. 24, 2014. Prof. Febe Pamonag was Jeremy's faculty mentor for this research project.
- The History Department is proud to announce that the winner of the 2013-2014 Judy Ellen Thompson Prize for best undergraduate paper in a History course is Kirsten Bellisle for "Historiography's Hold on the Fourth Crusade," prepared for Prof. McNabb's HIST 324 class, The Middle Ages. The prize was established by Professor Bill Thompson of the WIU Libraries and is named in honor of his mother. In awarding prize the history department's scholarship committee considers papers nominated by History faculty for the quality of research, excellence in writing, and shrewdness of argument. The prize carries a $150 award. Congratulations Kirsten!
- Graduate students in the Department of History interested in seeking a position teaching at the post-secondary level (Community Colleges and University) can now take advantage of a new service being offered by the department. Faculty members with experience will consult with alumnae on revising a CV/Resume for the demands of post-secondary teaching positions. The employment market in these posts requires a curriculum vita that is markedly different from the typical business resume. We can set up a meeting to review your current resume and discuss whether and how you might revise your CV to better suit the current market. To get started contact the department chairman Jennifer McNabb at 309-298-1053 or JL-McNabb@wiu.edu.
Faculty & Staff News
- Congratulations to Professor Lee L. Brice who has been selected as a 2014 Gertrude Smith Professor and a Co-Director of the Summer Session of the American School of Classical Studies in Athens.
- Dr. Cole publishes a new article in The Progressive
- History Prof. McNabb honored with alumni achievement award
- Dr. Brice publishes a new book, Greek Warfare: From the Battle of Marathon to the Conquests of Alexander the Great (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio)
- Dr. Cole publishes a new essay, "Industrial Workers of the World," in the Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia