English and Journalism
Application and Admission
Students requesting admission to the Master's Program in English are asked to submit materials that will enable the graduate committee to accurately evaluate your scholarly potential and fit with the program.
To apply to the program:
- Read our suggestions for preparing application materials, and contact us if you have any questions.
- Fill out the appropriate online application form and pay the application fee.
- If you wish to be considered for an assistantship, fill out the application for assistantship and send it to the School of Graduate Studies. If you do not want an assistantship, send a brief note saying so to the Graduate Program in English.
- Send the following materials to the School of Graduate Studies:
- 1-2 page personal statement articulating your larger purposes and career goals, and how an MA in English will further those goals.
- Three letters of recommendation (may also be used for the graduate assistantship application, if applicable).
- 10-15 page scholarly writing sample, such as an essay from an upper-division English course (not creative). If you have questions about this requirement please contact the English graduate program director, Dr. Christopher L. Morrow, at email@example.com.
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended. It will be necessary for you to request the Registrar of each institution to mail an official transcript of your credit directly to the Graduate Office.
Here is the address you need:
School of Graduate Studies
Sherman Hall 116
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
Feel free to contact the Graduate School at any time regarding file completeness. Files WILL NOT be sent to the department for an acceptance decision until they are complete with all documents listed above.