English and Journalism
Elements, Western Illinois University’s Literary Magazine, has been publishing creative writing and artwork from WIU students for over 50 years.
Each year a small group of dedicated student editors read and respond to all submissions; make editorial decisions concerning content, aesthetics, and presentation; and they organize an end of year release party that includes readings from contributors. These activities are facilitated and supported by the faculty advisor, who is associated with the English and Journalism Department in Simpkins Hall.
Please contact Dr. John Schulze (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to be involved with Elements.
We accept submissions in the following categories:
- short stories
Be sure to include your name and contact information with your submission.
The deadline for all submissions is 5 p.m. March 28th
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the editors by email: email@example.com
Don't forget to like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elements/
Requirements for art submissions:
- Work must be original.
- Please email a digital copy of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to put artwork in the subject line of your email
Initial submissions of artwork should be less than 2mb. However, if your work is accepted for publication we will need a high resolution copy that meets the following criteria:
- 300 dpi
- CMYK color mode
Requirements for writing submissions:
- Work must be original and not previously published
- Work must not exceed a word limit of 4,200 (roughly 15 pages double spaced)
- Individuals will be limited to two entries per category and four entries overall
- Work must be submitted via email to: email@example.com
- Be sure to identify your genre (poetry, story, essay) in the subject line of your email.
- Be sure to include your name and contact information with your submission.
- Submission deadline is 5 p.m. March 21st