Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Department of Biological Sciences
Roger C. Viadero, Jr., Professor
Director, WIU Institute for Environmental Studies
301 Tillman Hall
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Ph.D. - West Virginia University, 1997.
M.S. - University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1994.
B.S. - Mary Washington College, Summa Cum Laude with Departmental Honors; Phi Beta Kappa, 1993.
Certified Fisheries Professional (FP–C), #2767, American Fisheries Society.
Water chemistry and environmental physiology with emphasis on bioinorganic interactions with salmoinds; comprehensive ecosystem monitoring and assessment; development of watershed-scale mechanisms for the remediation and/or restoration of impaired natural systems.
- Wei, X., and Roger Viadero. 2007. Adsorption and precoat filtration studies of synthetic dye removal by acid mine drainage sludge. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering 133(6):633–640.
- Buzby, K., and Roger Viadero. 2007. Structural and functional aspects of treated mine water and aquaculture effluent streams. Hydrobiologia 583(1):251–263.
- Wei, X., and Roger Viadero. 2007. Synthesis of magnetite nanoparticles with ferric iron recovered from acid mine drainage: implications for environmental engineering. Colloids and Surfaces: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 294(1–3):280–286.
- Viadero, Roger, R. Fortney, and A. Tierney. Date? Impact assessment and remediation strategies for roadway construction In acid-bearing media: A case study from mid-Appalachia. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, in press.
- Viadero, Roger, A. Rumberg, D. Gray, A. Tierney, and K. Semmens. 2006. Acoustic Doppler velocimetry in aquaculture research: raceway and quiescent one hydrodynamics. Aquacultural Engineering, 34(1):16–25.
- Viadero, Roger, X. Wei, and K. Buzby. 2006. Characterization and dewatering evaluation of acid mine drainage sludge from ammonia neutralization. Environmental Engineering Science 23(4):734–743.
- Wei, X., Roger Viadero, and K. Buzby. 2005. Recovery of iron and aluminum from acid mine drainage by selective precipitation. Environmental Engineering Science 22(6):745–755.
- Viadero, Roger, J. Cunningham, K. Semmens, and A. Tierney. 2005. Effluent characterization and production impacts of flow-through aquaculture operations in West Virginia. Aquacultural Engineering 33(4):258-270. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.aquaeng.2005.02.004
- Miller, D., K. Semmens, Roger Viadero, and A. Tierney. 2004. The resource potential of mining discharge water for aquaculture. World Aquaculture 35(4):57–61.
- Viadero, Roger, A. Tierney, and K. Semmens. 2004. Use of treated mine water for Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) culture - a production scale assessment. Aquacultural Engineering 31(3/4):319-336.
- Qiu, X., B. Reed, and Roger Viadero. 2004. Effects of plant flavonoids on 14C[7,10]-Benzo[a]pyrene degradation in root zone soil. Environmental Engineering Science 21(5):637-646.