Department of Biological Sciences
Biology Event Calendar
October 2014 Events
- October 8 seminar, Phil Scheibel, WIU
- October 1 seminar, Dr. Sean Maher, Missouri State University
September 2014 Events
- September 24 seminar, Dr. Melinda Faulkner, Bradley University
- September 10 seminar, Shiou-Ruei Lin, Tea Research and Extension Station, Taiwan
- September 3 Welcome Department Potluck
April 2014 Events
- April 30 BGSA/RISE potluck
- April 16 Thomas E. Helm Undergraduate Research Day
- April 9 seminar Dr. John Marlin -ISTC
- April 4 Biology Student Research Symposium
March 2014 Events
- March 19 seminar, Dr. Richard Musser - WIU. Investigating the Interactome of plant-herbivore interactions.
- March 12 SPRING BREAK!
- March 5 seminar, Dr. John Logsdon - UI
February 2014 Events
- February 28 Friday seminar: Dr. Guoquing Lu - UN at Omaha. Asian carp, friend or foe? Depends on where you live.
- February 19 Wednesday special alumnus seminar: Josh Sherwood - INHS. From prairie streams to field drains: Changes in the stream fish communities of Champaign County over the past century.
- February 14 Friday special alumnus seminar: Dr. Tanya Soule - IUPU. The cyanobacterial sunscreen scytonemin and its relationship to ultraviolet radiation, oxidative stress, and the production o9f extracellular polysaccharides.
- February 5 Biology Graduate Student Association (BGSA) department potluck.
January 2014 Events
- January 29 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Shawn Meagher - WIU. Host specificity in "white grub," a flatworm parasite of game fishes.
November 2013 Events
- November 22 Biology Day for high school students. Registration forms and information.
- November 20 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Ana Calvo-NIU. Advances in global regulation of fungal secondary metabolism.
- November 15 Friday seminar: Chris Dunlap-USDA, Peoria.
- November 6 Wednesday seminar: BGSA Special Activity - Department Potluck.
October 2013 Events
- October 30 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Andrew Miller-INHS - U of I. Fungal biodiversity studies in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- October 23 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Phillip Willink-Shedd Aquarium. Endangered species, invasive species, and aquatic habitats: Conservation of Northern Illinois fishes.
- October 9 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Kevin Cummings-INHS. Global diversity of freshwater mussels: The Mussel Project, 10 years and counting.
October 2 Wednesday seminar: Special alumnus, Jim Lamer. Asian carp hybridization: Prevalence, distribution, and post-zygotic success in the Mississippi River basin.
September 2013 Events
- September 27 Friday seminar: Dr. Patricia Kelley-UNC-Wilmington. Evolution and creation: Conflicting or compatible?
- September 25 Wednesday seminar: Jason Willand-SIU (alumnus special speaker). Ecological restoration in the 21st century: Lessons from the past and directions for the future.
- September 20 Friday seminar: Jun Wang-Hunan Normal University, Changsha, China. Distant hybridization in fish.
- September 19 Thursday seminar: Kenny Kusimba-WIU grad student. Wildlife behavior in urban-rural Chicago, IL, Cook County.
- September 11 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Thomas H Alton-WIU. What I (had been; am now, and hope to be) thinking about in biology.
- September 4 Wednesday seminar: Dr. Shawn Meagher-WIU. Thinking like a scientist: A historical perspective.
August 2013 Events
- August 28 Wednesday seminar: Dr. John Pearson-DNR. Savoring and saving nature: My career in applied ecology.
May 2013 Events
May 1 Wednesday seminar: Meshack Afitlhile-WIU. The role of Arabidopsis thaliana Toc159 gene family in the synthesis
and desaturation of glycerolipids.
April 2013 Events
- April 17 Wednesday seminar: Ken McCravy-WIU. Terrestrial Invertebrate Research: The First Ten Years
- April 10 Wednesday seminar: Jeff Engel-WIU. Dynamics of the startle response of flies.
April 5 Friday Student Research Day. Keynote Speaker: Jessica Whitham – Brookfield Zoo.
The Road to Animal Welfare Research: From Grunts to Greetings to Great Well-Being.
April 4 Thursday Student Research Symposium talk 3:00 PM: Dr. May Berenbaum - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Sex and the Single Parsnip: Coping with Florivores and Pollinators in Two Hemispheres.
April 4, Thursday, 7:00 PM, Lecture, Sandburg Theater. Dr. Berenbaum - Honey Bees in America: State of Affairs
and Affairs of State.
March 2013 Events
- March 1: Secondary Science Education Conference
- March 20 Wednesday seminar: Kevin Johnson-INHS. The tree of lice: The history of host-parasite coevolution
- March 6 Wednesday seminar: Michael Bowman – USDA. Analysis of Biofuel Feedstock Oligosaccharides to Develop Improved Enzymatic Treatments
February 2013 Events
February 20 Wednesday seminar: Donald Wicklow – USDA. Fungal Metabolites Supporting Symptomless Infection and Survival
- February 13 Wednesday seminar: Graig Cady - Bradley University. Progress Towards A Cell Based Therapy For Ovarian Cancer.
- February 6 Wednesday noon seminar: Jonathan Breitenbach –USDA. Insect Virology: Understanding and Applying 300 Million Years of Biological Brinksmanship
January 2013 Events
January 30 Wednesday noon seminar: Jennifer Jost - Bradley University. AMPK activity as an indicator of seasonal
temperature acclimation in the zebra mussel, Dreissena polymorpha
- The Axon Volume 8 issue 2 has been released. This is essential information for all students. Read it here!
- Classes resume January 14! Welcome back, students!