"Best Midwestern College" & "Top Tier Midwestern University" Among WIU Honors
For 12 consecutive years, U.S. News and World Report has named Western Illinois University a "Best Midwestern University" and for 13 years, The Princeton Review has named WIU a "Best Midwestern College."
In the U.S.News and World Report 2017 rankings, Western is listed 49th of 122 public and private schools on the top tier list of "Best Regional Universities." Western is one of two Illinois public universities appearing in the top 50. Of the 37 Midwestern public universities included, Western ranked ninth, as a "Best Midwestern University."
Western is one of 156 regional universities, and one of three Illinois public institutions, named to the "Best in the Midwest" list by The Princeton Review. The colleges and universities included in the "Best in the Midwest" list are located in 12 states: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Collectively, the 649 colleges named "regional best(s)" comprise 25 percent of the nation's 2,500 four-year colleges, according to The Princeton Review.
You get this quality education at a four-year lock-in rate for tuition, fees, room and board. Guaranteed.
Did You Know?
The 2016 Washington Monthly College Guide has recognized Western Illinois University as a "Best Bang for the Buck" Midwestern school. Western is 37th among 376 Midwestern colleges and universities, ranking in the top 7 percent, and among six Illinois public universities in the top 50 of the Midwestern school rankings. This is the fourth consecutive year that Western has appeared in the Washington Monthly College Guide. Western was also ranked 91st among 343 master's degree granting institutions from across the nation by the Washington Monthly.
- Western has been ranked by Niche.com fourth out of 10 Illinois public schools as a top Illinois public university, and in the top 25 of best value colleges in Illinois. WIU is one of five Illinois public universities in the top 25 best value category among 35 public and private universities ranked.
WIU is ranked third out of 11 public schools in Illinois ranked by The Economist, and ninth of 50 Illinois schools.
College Choice has recognized WIU as a 2016 Best Midwestern Regional University and the University's School of Nursing as a 2016 Best Online RN to BSN Degree Program. Western is among three Illinois public universities ranked in the top 50 as a Best Midwestern Regional University, and is one of two Illinois public university nursing programs ranked in the top 50.
- WIU has been designated a "Military Friendly School" by "G.I. Jobs" Magazine (Victory Media) for eight consecutive years, and this year, WIU achieved "Gold" School Status in the "Large Public School" category (more than 10,000 students). The list honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
- For the seventh consecutive year, WIU has been selected as a "Best for Vets College" by Military Times EDGE magazine. Western, ranked 13th, is the only Illinois public university in the Top 50.
- Western Illinois University has been selected by Military Times as a "Best for Vets Business School." WIU's Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is ranked 36 out of the top 64, and Western is the one of only two Illinois public institutions appearing in the Top 50.
WIU is one of four Illinois public universities designed as "Top School" in the Military Advanced Education (MAE) "2017 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities."
- Visit our Veterans Resource Center for more details.