Bachelor of Arts in Art Studio
The Department of Art offers the Bachelor of Arts degree to students seeking an art major in the studio area and a minor in a department outside the art area.
Preparation includes the development of technical and creative skills, exposure to a broad range of media and a background in the historical study of art. The Bachelor of Arts Studio major provides the opportunity for students to experience a broad educational experience while still requiring a strong concentration in art.
- Graphic Design
- Visual Communication
and provides excellent preparation for selected advanced degrees.
Why Choose Studio Art at WIU?
Aligned with Illinois state standards, successful graduates will be prepared to:
- Understand the sensory elements, organizational principles, and expressive qualities of the visual arts.
- Understand the commonalities, distinctions, and connections in and among the fine arts.
- Understand the process and production of the visual arts.
- Apply knowledge and skills necessary to create expressively and with technical proficiency in a range of media and processes.
- Analyze how the visual arts function in history, society and everyday life.
- Understand how the visual arts shape and reflect history, society, and everyday life.
- Understand and will able to apply pedagogical knowledge and skills appropriate to the teaching of the visual arts.
The curriculum consists of General Education; a 45 semester hour art major that requires an Art Core; specialized courses from a full range of studio offerings; and courses in art history; as well as courses for a minor and free electives.
Some of Our Graduates
Thomas Jackson - Painting - BA 1972 - http://www.thomascjackson.com/
Thomas Jackson cites numerous artists as influences and heroes. Among them are former WIU ART faculty Bruce Bobick who Tom sites as inspiring the development of technique in his work.
For more information, visit Degree Programs