Art -- Art Education
The basic mission of our undergraduate Art Education curriculum is to prepare future art teachers to meet the challenges of teaching in public school. Our goal is to prepare a professional art educator who can meet the needs of all learners in a variety of educational environments.
The Bachelor of Arts -
Art Education degree is for students seeking an art major that
leads to teaching at the K-12 grade levels. The degree prepares
students to gain K-12 teacher certification in the state
- Art Teacher
- Elementary school
- Middle school (junior high)
- Secondary school
Why Choose Art Education at WIU?
A dedicated faculty, small class sizes, and a strong rich history of artistic excellence makes Western an ideal place to study Art. Aligned with Illinois state standards, successful graduates will be prepared to:
- Art Education faculty stress the ability to solve problems, and the ability to create and develop visual form, understand the principles of design/composition, and aesthetics.
- Art Education courses help students develop an understanding of tools and technology of creating Art.
- A low student-to-faculty ratio provides for many one-on-one learning experiences. Students are given opportunities to work directly with visiting artists, attend special workshops, and travel to major art centers.
- An outstanding mix of dedicated actively exhibiting faulty is central to the reasons why one should consider studying Art at Western.
For more information, visit Degree Programs