"My experience at WIU, whether it was inside or outside the classroom, truly helped me prepare for my current career path."
Students may choose options in the Political Science major in:
- American Government
- International Relations/Comparative Politics
- Public Policy/Public Administration
Western political science graduates work all over the world in a variety of careers. Our alumni include prominent attorneys, top staffers in the executive and legislative branches of government, officials at international organizations, lobbyists in Springfield and Washington, city managers, campaign consultants, and elected officials, among others.
Other careers possible with a Political Science major/minor include;
- Activist, Advocate/Organizer
- Administration, Corporate, Government, Non-Profit, etc.
- Campaign Operative
- Career Counselor
- CIA Analyst or Agent
- Congressional Office/Committee Staffer
- Coordinator of Federal or State Aid
- Communications Director
- Congressional Staffer
- Corporate Public Affairs Advisor
- Corporate Adviser for Govt'l. Relations
- Elected Official (Legislator, Governor, Representative)
- Federal Government Analyst
- Foreign Service Officer
- Foundation President
- Government Affairs Manager
- Human Right Case Worker
- Information Manager
- Intelligence Analyst or Officer
- International Agency Officer
- International Research Specialist
- Issues Analyst, Corporate Social Policy Div.
- Juvenile Justice Specialist
- Labor Relations Specialist
- Legislative Analyst / Coordinator
- Legislator (same as Elected Official)
- Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Administrator
- Policy Analyst
- Political Commentator
- Public Affairs Research Analyst
- Public Opinion Analyst
- State Legislator
Why Choose Political Science at WIU?
Western’s political science faculty are committed to helping students succeed both inside and outside the classroom. The department sponsors internship programs locally, as well as providing financial support for those working in Washington, Springfield, and elsewhere through the Dan Webb internship award program.
WIU political science students participate in simulations, such as Model UN and Model Illinois Government, each year. Before each presidential election, the department helps organize one of the largest mock election simulations held at any university in the United States.
Political science majors are also active in student government, as well as departmental clubs that sponsor debates and campus visits by politicians and other public figures.