Bachelor of Science in Geology
"The WIU Geology program provided a great foundation of theoretical knowledge and practical skills that allowed me to further my education in a master’s level program and pursue a career in the oil and gas industry. I found the smaller class sizes, combined with the dedicated and enthusiastic professors, critical to developing my understanding of geology and the processes that have shaped our world. I also had the opportunity to work on research projects with faculty that are recognized as subject-matter experts, which was necessary for preparing me for my future endeavors. Upon reflection, it was the correct decision to attend this program and I am grateful to those who provided the education that has given me a wealth of experiences and enjoyment in the fields of geology and geophysics." -- Scott Koza, 2001 Geology alumnus
Geology is the study of the origin, history, and structure of the earth.
Our Bachelor of Science in Geology gives our students a solid base in the science, along with related courses in mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology.
Possible Career Paths
Students who major in Geology are equipped to work in careers such as;
- Government Engineering
- Environment Geology
The curriculum also prepares students for advanced graduate study in Geology.
Why Geology at WIU?
Students can choose advanced electives to specialize in areas such as:
- Environmental Geology
- Glacial Geology
A required summer field camp and optional internship gives students practical experience in the discipline.
Some of our Graduates
- Lauren H. M., B.S. in Geology 2002 - works as a hydrogeologist for consulting company CH2M Hill
- Phil K., B.S. in Geology 2007 - works for Horizon Well Logging, Inc. in California
- Derek C., B.S. in Geology 2009- works for U.S. Army Corp of Engineers in the Quad Cities
- Andrew A., B.S. in Geology 2010 - graduate student at South Dakota School of Mining and Technology
- Kim R., B.S. in Geology 2000 - works for the Illinois EPA
- Nathan W., B.S. in Geology 2007- works as a Geology Instructor at Eastern Illinois University