Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Biology Science Teacher -- Certification
Majors are offered in Biology (with options in Botany, Microbiology, Zoology, Medical Sciences*, and Science/Biology Teacher Certification) and Clinical Laboratory Science leading to a Bachelor of Science degree. Students intending to pursue medical careers should choose the Bachelor of Science in Biology.
- Biology Teacher
Why Choose Biology Science Teacher-- Certification at WIU?
Few biology departments offer research and field experiences to undergraduates - a strength of our department is our commitment to undergraduate research.
Faculty diversity and experience
Most of our faculty members hold Ph.D. degrees and have active, productive research programs.
For a small, comprehensive university in the Midwest, our faculty study a diverse spectrum of biological disciplines:
Botany & Mycology
- Plant Ecology
- Fire Ecology
- Algal Ecology and Systematics
- Fungal Infection on Plants
- Molecular Biology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Invertebrate and Vertebrate Biology and Ecology
- Evolutionary Biology and Paleobiology
- Human Biology
- Science Education
Commitment to undergraduate education
- Courses taught by faculty members, not graduate students
- Active faculty advisor program and an active career advising/career development program
- Comprehensive curriculum that provides a strong background in the natural and social sciences, humanities, and writing
- Curriculum that allows students to pursue their individual research interests
- Libraries with Internet access to biology journals
- Easily accessible computer labs for student use