Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Western Organization for Women
Promoting Equal Opportunity for Women for Over 40 Years
The Western Organization for Women (WOW) was established in 1971 out of concern for women's opportunities for advancement on the campus of Western Illinois University. [View more about our history]
The purpose of WOW is to provide for continuing interaction among members in order to consider and act on common interests and issues relating to women. One of the first projects undertaken by WOW was a landmark salary study which led to some improvement in women's salaries.
WOW Announces Summer Meeting With The President, Provost, & Vice President for Student Services
Every summer, WOW hosts an informal discussion with the leaders of our institution. Our goal is to provide an opportunity to engage in productive dialog regarding issues of particular interest to women employees, retirees, and students.
We are pleased to announce that Provost Ken Hawkinson and Vice President for Student Services Gary Biller will also be in attendance.
All are welcome. Women who work at WIU currently are especially encouraged to bring their questions, concerns, and suggestions to this meeting. We do ask that you submit your questions/concerns/etc. to us via email prior to the event so we can group them and prioritize.
The meeting will take place in Horrabin Hall 1 from 10 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Thursday July 24.
The Board will be available to meet with anyone interested from 9:30 to 10:00 a.m. and we will also be available for an open discussion about the meeting after the President, Provost, and VP depart.
Also, we are asking all members to please help us grow by inviting three colleagues to join us.
- To promote equal opportunity for women in all situations within the university;
- To enhance the position of women at the university;
- To collaborate with other local, state, and national women’s organizations in order to assist in improving the status of women in society; and
- To stimulate and encourage women students at WIU to become aware of their roles as women and to participate in activities which define and enlarge these roles.
We Need YOUR Help to Support Our Mission
- Become a member. Membership is open to ALL members of the campus community, no matter the classification, contract, role, gender. If you wish to help us advance the cause of social justice, join us!
- Submit your questions for our annual "Meeting with the President."
- Attend our events
- Make a donation
- Listen to 51% on WIUM Tri-States Radio on Saturdays & send an email to the station thanking them for hosting this program
- Join our Programming Committee
2014 - 2015 Executive Board
Some of WOW's Successes
Though these issues continue to require our attention, support, and advocacy, some of the ways WOW has made WIU a better place for all include:
- Getting a dedicated Women's Studies program Degree Program
- Documenting the need, advocating for, and raising the funds to establish a Women's Center
- Establishing more equity on spending for the women's sports teams
- Getting women's personal product bins in women's bathrooms
- Advocating for more representation in administrative decision-making positions on campus
- A Landmark study on salary equity
- WIU's Parental Leave benefits
- Dedicated Lactation Rooms on campus