Faculty Travel Policies
Click here to see Special Updates
All awards are contingent upon funding.
Effective for travel after June 30, 2015, Unit B faculty are no longer eligible to receive Faculty Travel Awards.
Travel awards must follow the University's policies for travel. Please consult these resources:
The Provost Award for Faculty Travel has been established to provide financial assistance to faculty who will be presenting scholarly/professional activities at professional conferences or meetings and to encourage continued publication of active research and support invited performances in the creative arts.
The Director of the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Research shall establish a committee from the Center's Advisory Board. The Advisory Board consists of representatives from the four Colleges, Library, and Quad Cities. The Award Committee shall evaluate and make recommendations with regard to the applications for travel fund support. The Director shall chair this committee. The committee will meet continously while funds exist.
**Effective July 1, 2013** If an honorarium is provided, please include the amount and if any travel expenses are provided. Please forward a copy of your contract to CITR. A presentation or performance with an honorarium over $2,000.00 is not eligible for a Provost Travel Award as sufficient funds for travel are available in the honorarium.
Please take a moment and review the policies below. All policy and procedures must be strictly adhered to. If you have questions after reviewing these policies or any time during the application process, please contact CITR at 309/298-2434 or CITR@wiu.edu.
- Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the actual presentation date.
- Full-time faculty are eligible (temporary faculty are not eligible) for one travel award per year. Applicants must be either a full-time Unit A or B faculty member.
- The maximum award is $575.00.
- Department chairs are not eligible for an award.
- Awards are to support travel for the presentation of accepted papers, invited performances or equivalent professional activity.
- If you are unable to attend your conference, or require less funding than originally awarded, please let CITR know immediately.
Travel Awards DO NOT fund:
- Non-presenting participants
- Attending board meetings for which are you an officer
- Presenting as part of a panel that requires little preliminary preparation. Simply, the presentation you are using as the basis of the application must be equivalent to preparing for a full, scholarly presentation.
- Registration fees, per diem (meals)
Applications are accepted through the online application system located at: https://www.wiu.edu/citr/travel/index.sphp
See below for the procedures
- Faculty are to submit a request using the online travel request form located at: https://www.wiu.edu/citr/travel/index.sphp. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the actual presentation date to allow adequate time for the committee to review the application. You will be prompted for your Ecom login and password.
- Click the “New Application” option on the left.
- Applicants will be required to provide:
- A narrative describing how the paper or performance relates to the applicant's professional duties at the University.
- A breakdown of costs to include: Conference Registration, Travel Costs, Hotel, Days in Attendance, other costs (such as taxis and parking).
- The amount being requested (up to but not to exceed $575).
- An Abstract or Session Description
- Once required items are complete, the faculty member will save the application to the electronic system. The application has not been submitted at this stage and can still be modified. Once it is submitted for review, the applicant can no longer modify it. However, the application must be submitted before it will be reviewed and considered by the committee.
- After the application is saved, click “Edit” to update information in the application, or click “Click to submit for Review and Print a Copy for Your Records”. If all required fields have been completed, and the current date is two weeks or more before the presentation date, the application will be submitted. The application may be printed for your records.
- An electronic signature sheet will be emailed to your Chair and Dean for their approval.
- Once approved, the applicant will learn of the amount of their award.
- Immediately after the conference, faculty members are to submit documentation of attendance. This will be submitted to CITR no later than two weeks from the presentation date. (Note: after this time, the award can be forfeited and reallocated). Documentation consists of:
- a copy of the program cover.
- a copy of the program schedule that includes your presentation time.
- a copy of the paper being presented or of the creative performance, or equivalent. A submitted paper does not need to lead to publication, but it is strongly encouraged.
- a copy of your boarding pass or copy of your hotel receipt
Travel award will be transferred to the faculty's department account and the department will be responsible for processing travel expenses.
CITR will only reimburse your department AFTER travel has taken place and all necessary information has been submitted.
(Updated August 15, 2014)
Full-time faculty are eligible for one travel award per year, up to a maximum of $575.00. It is in your best interest to submit travel requests that meet or exceed this amount (not counting registration) because you will only be able to receive travel money from this award once this fiscal year.
(Updated July 25, 2014)
Full-time faculty are eligible for one travel award per year up to $575.00. If a second award is requested, payment will be contingent on available funds.
(Updated May 28, 2014)
For the fiscal year starting July 1, 2014, faculty are eligible to receive up to $575 from the Provost Travel Award for the presentation of research/creative works at professional meetings and events.
An employee on unpaid leave of absence at the time of the travel, will not be eligible for a Provost Travel Award.
(Updated July 3, 2013)
For the fiscal year starting July 1, 2013, faculty are eligible to receive up to $350 from the Provost Travel Award for the presentation of research/creative works at professional meetings and events.
Faculty can receive up to two awards per year. Awards must be in separate semesters.